In marriage, we consent to stick together for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness as well as in health – but what doesn’t come up through our vows to one another is how to deal with the growing difficulties of caring for an aging parent.
Nevertheless, with our life span improving, it is important to build a strategy to fulfill both the requirements of our parents as they get older, and the multitude of day-to-day needs, all while honoring our cherished relationship with a spouse. It is a challenge that is contributing to stress and pressure for 80% of couples surveyed, leading to detachment and much less quality time together. JFS Care, providing home care services in Los Angeles, shares the following areas in a marriage that are particularly impacted by caregiving for a senior parent:
- Finances. Still retaining the top spot when it comes to the reason reported for divorce, fiscal pressure is magnified if the senior loved one hasn’t already implemented a financial arrangement for long-term care. Truthfully communicating irritations with each other and working together to investigate options to pay for services can help.
- Fatigue. As gratifying as it may be, meeting the needs of an elderly loved one involves a great amount of time and energy – leaving little left over at the end of the day for your spouse. Agree to explore opportunities for the assistance of other people or employ expert in-home senior care assistance, so you can make sure to provide for high quality time with your significant other.
- Frustration. Mounting frustration and decreased patience are a couple of common negative effects of exhaustion, and unfortunately, we have a tendency to lash out at individuals we love the most when feeling overwhelmed. Permit imperfection, practice understanding, and look for professional help when necessary.
So how can you avoid these hurdles and keep a solid and balanced marriage? These tips may help:
- Make sure your partner is a high concern. Thoughtful gestures can do a lot towards this end, such as writing a handwritten note of love and appreciation, getting out of bed a few minutes early to share a cup of coffee together before the day becomes hectic, or putting aside a block of time at the conclusion of the day to talk and unwind.
- Signing up for an online support group for family caregivers can allow you the chance to share irritations with individuals in related circumstances, alleviating anxiety.
- Seek out the services of a certified counselor, either for your needs separately or for the two of you as a couple.
An additional good way to achieve a better life balance is through partnering with an established and trusted in-home care provider, like JFS Care. We provide specialized respite care solutions that enable family members to take time off from caregiving, while providing older adults the opportunity for enhanced socialization with a friendly and well-trained caregiver. Give us a call at (213) 383-2273 to learn more about our home care services in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas today!