If you are among the 8% of Americans who actually accomplish their New Year’s resolution goals, well done! However, if you are like the majority of us, you’ve given up prior to even turning the calendar page to February. Although it is undoubtedly commendable to attempt to better ourselves by resolving to lose 10 pounds or with healthier living, for busy family caregivers, there are truly meaningful, achievable goals that will improve life all through the year.
Consider these recommendations for resolutions for caregivers from our experts in elder care in Los Angeles and surrounding areas:
- Find joy. Looking after somebody else is a labor of love, but can also bring about challenges, which makes it hard to concentrate on the daily benefits that spark joy. Devote some time on a daily basis to pause and discover a reason to smile. Bring a sense of humor to your daily caregiving tasks, sharing laughter together with your loved one. Enjoy the feeling of the sunlight shining through the window as you’re folding laundry. And make time to call someone who lifts your spirits for a brief chat.
- See the big picture. Strive to take one step back from the business of your to-do list, and look at the positive impact your caregiving has. Because of you, the senior can continue living in the comfort and familiarity of home. Because of you, life is the very best it can be for your loved one. Your contribution is priceless and it is making a big difference.
- It’s important to make mental wellness a priority, and one effective way to manage the numerous different responsibilities that come with providing care is to be entirely focused on the present. Imagining different rooms for different concerns is a good practice. For example, if you find yourself worried about an upcoming medical procedure a senior loved one is facing while watching a movie with your kids, think about placing that concern in its appropriate room until later, and being focused on the present.
- Be kind to yourself. It is very easy to succumb to a pattern of wishing you could do more for a family member, or thinking about mistakes you have made that you wish you could change. Remind yourself you are human, and that you are accomplishing essential work for an individual you care about. Acknowledge the sacrifices you’re making, just as you would acknowledge and appreciate them in another family caregiver.
- Seek – and accept – support and help. Attempting to be a superhero who handles each and every thing independently can quickly contribute to burnout and depression. Partnering with the helpful support of other people to assist a senior loved one is the best way to guarantee his or her needs are fully met, while helping you realize the healthy life balance you need and deserve.
JFS Care, providers of compassionate elder care in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas, is the perfect partner for family caregivers, offering skilled, professional, and compassionate in-home care, customized to each individual’s specific needs. Contact us at (213) 383-2273 and together we can create a plan of care in order to make 2020 the very best year yet – both for the senior in your care, as well as yourself. See our full service area and let us help your family.