We are already aware of how remarkable our body’s immune system is in attacking invading bacteria and viruses and restoring us to health following an ailment. Even so, the newest cancer treatment discoveries from a study by Cardiff University are positioned to bring an innovative and surprising advancement: halting cancer in its tracks.
Researchers uncovered a particular kind of immune cell, a T-cell, found in our blood, which can scan and wipe out threats – including a wide range of cancer cells: ovarian, cervical, blood, kidney, prostate, lung, colon, and numerous others. And astoundingly, all normal tissue is left untouched.
The discovered T-cell works with a particular molecule on the surface of each cell in our body, known as the MR1 molecule. The theory is that the MR1 is alerting the T-cell to any cancer cell distortions. Garry Dolton, who was part of the research team, explains, “We are the first to describe a T-cell that finds MR1 in cancer cells – that hasn’t been done before; this is the first of its kind.”
While there is currently a comparable kind of therapy, called CAR-T, which has shown significant results in bringing patients from a terminal status to complete remission, it’s only been shown to be effective in some types of cancer, and not “solid cancers” (those that form tumors). This new discovery has revealed thus far to impact all types of cancer. Here’s how it is works:
- Blood is obtained from a patient diagnosed with cancer.
- The blood is filtered to remove T-cells.
- A particular type of benign virus is injected into the T-cells, allowing them to pick up on cancer cells.
- These cells are then duplicated in a lab, and injected back into the individual.
Research has been remarkably effective in animal trials, and with additional safety checks, the next step will be human trials. According to Daniel Davis, professor of immunology at the University of Manchester, “There is no question that it’s a very exciting discovery, both for advancing our basic knowledge about the immune system and for the possibility of future new medicines.”
While we keep an eye out for further information on this development, you can depend upon JFS Care for the finest quality care for those with cancer and various chronic conditions. Just some of the many ways we are able to assist include:
- Meal planning and preparation, specific to any dietary restrictions or challenges
- Warm and friendly companionship
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Running errands, including picking up medications and trips to the grocery store
- Transportation to medical appointments/procedures and interesting outings
- And a whole lot more
Make the first step to a better quality of life for someone you love. Give us a call at (213) 383-2273 and request an in-home consultation to learn more about our top-rated Burbank elder care. Visit our Service Area page for a full listing of the locations we serve.