The earliest signs are likely to be so subtle that most people would not even recognize that anything is amiss. Mom is extroverted, pleasant, and conversational when visiting your family and while running errands. However, those closest to her have begun to recognize concerns: forgetting about the soup cooking on the stove, resulting in a scorched pot. Placing her keys into the cookie jar. Neglecting to pay expenses.
As an adult child of a senior at the beginning stages of compromised safety or the capability to make competent decisions, it’s tremendously challenging to adapt to a greater degree of involvement and assistance – nevertheless it is also vitally important to take action sooner rather than later.
Similar to bringing up any confrontational topic of conversation, talking with your senior loved one about the issues you are seeing is likely to be met with resistance and defensiveness in the beginning. However, it’s important to outline the specific factors behind your concern, and also the negative consequences if these behaviors continue on or progress.
- Be certain that a durable power of attorney has been appointed.
- Affirm with your sisters and brothers that the situation needs to be addressed, and discuss together what options are accessible for the senior’s care as needs continue to grow.
- Remain compassionate but strong in your strategy. Explain the choices you have thought through. If she balks at the thought of moving to an assisted living facility, which many older adults do, suggest an in-home caregiver instead, permitting her to be independent and safe in the comfort of home.
- Realize that it will probably take many conversations before the older adult accepts the need for assistance – which is the reason why it is essential to begin the process as soon as possible.
At JFS Care, we’re knowledgeable in helping seniors to feel comfortable and positive regarding how our services can help increase safety and overall quality of life and wellbeing. When your family decides the time is right for assistance, we can help with highly specialized care that will meet a wide array of needs, such as:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Housework and laundry
- Running errands
- Highly specialized care for dementia
- And a whole lot more
Whether the need is for just a couple hours each week to boost safety and socialization, full-time care, or anything in between, partnering with JFS Care increases quality of life for seniors and offers peace of mind for individuals who love them. Contact us at (213) 383-2273 for an in-home assessment to find out exactly how we can help. Providing the best senior care in Hollywood and the surrounding area, click here to find out if our services are available in your senior loved one’s neighborhood.