Remember that feeling as a child when the school bell rang, indicating the end of arithmetic and the beginning of the best part of the day: recess? There was an immense sense of freedom as we dashed out onto the playground, leaving behind the stress of work for an all-too-brief period of unstructured play.
Unfortunately, for many adults, this is nothing more than a fond but distant memory. Yet is it possible, and even beneficial, to recapture the joy of playing? Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, respond with a resounding YES. As he explains, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
- To connect: Particularly in our smartphone-driven society today, taking time to engage with others in person is key to our social wellbeing – whether through sports, card clubs, weekly board game competitions, or any other shared hobbies and interests.
- To sharpen your mind: While the jury is still out on the effectiveness of memory games in reducing the chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is benefit to be gained in improving thinking and problem-solving skills.
- To strengthen relationships: The everyday stresses inherent in all of our relationships are eased when a sense of playfulness is incorporated, allowing for stronger bonds and the ability to better overcome difficulties when they arise.
Carving time out from an overloaded schedule to simply play can seem impossible. Yet with a little assistance from JFS Care, providers of the home care Hollywood seniors need, a more enjoyable lifestyle can easily become a reality. We’re available for as much or as little help as needed, providing a wide range of services for seniors, such as:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, and any other errands
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Personal care assistance such as with bathing and dressing
- Transportation and accompaniment to medical appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to engage in conversations, reminiscing, exercising, games, and enjoyable pastimes
- And much more
Help achieve a healthy life balance by allowing us to help, while you have some fun. Call us any time at (213) 383-2273 to learn more about how we can help improve senior wellness for your loved ones! See our full home care service area here.