Have you ever felt yourself preparing to bubble over with uncontrollable laughter at the most inopportune moment in time – in a packed elevator, a hushed waiting room, or a religious service? Although there are, of course, instances when we must control the silliness, author Jane Heller says that, “Humor can keep us balanced, even in the grimmest of times. It reminds us that despite illness and disability, there are moments of real joy in life and we need to embrace them.”
It’s true that laughter is the best medicine, and some of the main advantages are extraordinary, including:
- Releasing endorphins that minimize stress
- Enhancing brain connectivity
- Supplying a social boost
- Relieving pain
- Strengthening the immune system
- Improving mood
- Protecting one’s heart from cardiovascular disease
- Stimulating blood circulation and muscle relaxation, each of which minimize stress
- And so many more
Even though there is absolutely nothing funny about receiving a difficult medical diagnosis for a member of the family, there are methods to promote an inherent feeling of positivity that may contribute to more opportunities for laughter:
- Be deliberate about adding bits of humor throughout your home/office, such as a well-liked comic strip, meme, amusing photographs, etc.
- Look into a laughter yoga class – yes, there truly is such a thing!
- Alter your reading material and TV viewing to incorporate added lightheartedness. Include joke books – or explore the internet for new jokes to add to your repertoire.
- Spend time with loved ones and close friends who lift your spirits. Recount prior experiences together which make you laugh, and make new ones!
- Don’t forget to laugh at yourself, shifting your internal dialogue from reprimands for mistakes to the relief in recognizing we are all human.
Remarkably, even if you do not feel like laughing, the health benefits of laughter can still be realized through faking or forcing laughter, according to certified health coach Nancy Kalish.
The home care team at JFS Care, the top home health agency in Los Angeles, CA, helps bring joy and laughter to seniors and respite for their families each and every day. Our friendly senior companions spend quality time with older adults, participating in conversations, games, puzzles, exercise, fun outings, and undoubtedly, laughter. And with our full range of home care services, including meal preparation, cleaning, and looking after personal care needs, family care providers together with the seniors they love are able to spend more quality time simply enjoying each other’s company. Let us help brighten your world! Contact us online or call (213) 383-2273 any time for more information and to schedule for an in-home consultation with the most trusted home health agency in Los Angeles, CA and surrounding areas.