Today, many family members are coordinating care for older loved ones, but not all feel prepared to do so. It’s common for family caregivers to be faced with care needs and questions that are beyond their expertise, and they could benefit from professional guidance and support that comes from care management services.
What Is Geriatric Care Management?
Geriatric care management is a service that assists family caregivers in finding the right care and resources for their loved ones. Care managers help with a variety of needs including:
- Assessing the level of care a person might need
- Evaluating the home for fall risks and potential safety modifications
- Mediating discussions regarding care needs and/or concerns among family members
- Prioritizing care issues
- Identifying other health care professionals and resources that can help
- Overseeing care on an ongoing basis as needed
- And more
Our care managers (known also as aging life care professionals) are certified experts trained to guide family caregivers toward the best wellness outcomes for their loved ones. We work with family caregivers to listen, educate, and coach. We also coordinate with other members of an older adult’s care team, including doctors, pharmacists, and ancillary service providers.
How Does Senior Care Management Help?
Often, when a senior loved one is in need of care at home, family caregivers find themselves in unfamiliar territory. They don’t know where to turn for care, or sometimes even what type of care is truly needed. This is where a senior care manager can be a lifesaver.
Care management can help families:
- Navigate the often confusing world of senior care
- Find and contact trusted local resources and care providers who meet your loved ones needs
- Reduce risk and enhance safety for older adults
- Create a healthier life balance for the older adult and for his or her loved ones
- Improve family relationships by mediating conflicts about care and finding respite services to prevent family caregiver burnout
- Enhance overall quality of life through social engagement and focusing on what brings joy to an older adult’s life
- Find peace of mind, especially for family caregivers who live at a distance from their senior loved ones
Is Care Management Right for Your Situation?
Care management services are beneficial when families:
- Live at a distance, or because of other commitments, find it hard to manage all of a senior loved one’s needs
- Struggle to see eye-to-eye with a senior loved one or with other family members
- Face a new transition with a senior loved one, such as a new diagnosis, hospitalization, or pending move
- Are concerned about safety: fall risks, driving, medications, abuse, isolation, depression, cognitive decline, etc.
- Are in need of an advocate for a senior loved one to help with assessing needs and providing decision-making and emotional support and guidance, prioritizing issues, and identifying others who can help
Two Types of Care Management Services to Meet Your Unique Needs
As senior care professionals, we know that everyone’s care needs and circumstances are different. That’s why we offer two types of care management services to ensure that you have the level of support you need.
Traditional Care Management
Traditional care management services are available on an as‑needed basis at an hourly fee of $160 (billed by the quarter hour). From our in-person consultations to ongoing oversight, our geriatric care management professionals will provide a comprehensive assessment of your loved one’s situation and provide you with recommendations designed to keep the senior safe, comfortable, and as independent as possible; to enhance quality of life; and to help you manage the care needs at hand with confidence. Our care managers can provide ongoing monitoring to help advocate for the senior and keep you up to date.
Care Management 2.0: On-Demand Family Support
For families who prefer not to have in-person meetings or a home visit, but who still want the benefits care management provides, our On-Demand Family Support program is an ideal and affordable option available to family caregivers for a monthly subscription fee of $150. With just a click or a call, family caregivers are connected to an experienced care manager who can help prioritize concerns and create an actionable plan. Additionally, participants receive:
- 75 minutes of access per month to a professional care manager
- Access to an educational library to help support family caregivers in providing the best care to an older adult loved one
- Participation, as desired, in a weekly family caregiver support group
- Trusted guidance and advice on resources specific to a loved one’s needs
- Peace of mind in knowing you have a trusted care partner by your side
Trusted Care You Can Count On
All of JFS Care’s care managers are proud members of the Aging Life Care Association (formerly the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers), an organization that has provided leadership, education, and advocacy for its members since 1985. Additionally, JFS Care’s CEO, Steven Barlam, proudly served as the President of the Aging Life Care Association and is now on its Board of Directors.
Do you think senior care management might be right for your family? Simply complete our online contact form or call us at (213) 383-2273 to learn more about our care management services and senior care throughout the Los Angeles area, including Sherman Oaks, North Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Encino, and Brentwood, and experience confidence and clarity in your caregiving role, with a professional to walk beside you every step of the way.