While COVID-19 still dominates our health concerns, it’s essential to keep in mind that other illnesses can be equally as dangerous, especially for older adults. Flu season is upon us, and it’s time to make sure the seniors you love are protected.
There are several different flu vaccines available, a few of which are better suited for seniors. These include:
- High-dose vaccines
- Adjuvanted vaccines
- Intradermal vaccines
- Nasal spray vaccines
Generally, adults age 65 and over are encouraged to receive either a high-dose or adjuvanted shot, but check with the physician for his or her advice.
If an older adult is reluctant to receive a flu shot, listed below are some fundamental reasons to educate them on why it is so important:
The immune system weakens as we age, making it more challenging to recover from infections.
- Serious complications from the flu tend to be more frequent in older adults.
- 85% of flu-related deaths and up to 70% of flu-related hospitalizations occur in those age 65 and older.
- Secondary infections, for example, sinus and ear infections, bronchitis, and even pneumonia can develop from contracting the flu.
Along with receiving the seasonal flu vaccine, older adults can boost their immunity through:
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet that contains foods high in vitamin C, D, and zinc, in addition to lean proteins and complex carbs.
- Staying physically active with regular exercise every day. Half an hour per day is ideal, and can be broken down into smaller portions throughout the day.
- Keeping the environment sanitized and clean. A HEPA filter will also help with improving indoor air quality.
- Improving sleeping habits, aiming for eight hours of sleep each night. Setting a routine at bedtime to include calming activities, limiting TV and technology, and keeping the bedroom cool and dark are all techniques to help.
Keep in mind that following COVID-19 safety recommendations can help with preventing other illnesses as well. Wash hands frequently, practice physical distancing, wear a face covering, and steer clear of large crowds.
JFS Care, the experts in Burbank elder care, has dedicated caregivers who are here to help! Let us provide accompaniment and transportation to doctors’ appointments and to receive a flu shot, in combination with our full range of in-home care services. We are also available to prepare wholesome meals, encourage older adults to take part in regular exercise, and so much more. Take the first step towards improving overall health for a senior by contacting us at 213-383-2273 to request a free in-home consultation. For a full list of the communities we serve, visit our Service Area page.